Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Annoying dryer buzzer on the whirlpool thin twin

So it's been a while but im surprised that there is still consistent traffic to this blog.  You'd be surprised how many people want free breast pumps and hate that ionizer on the fellowes (winix) air purifier.

So if you live in a small place, chances are you may have one of the LTG variants of the Whirlpool Thin Twin Heavy duty washer/dryer stacked combo unit.  It's ideal for small areas such as between cabinets or most likely, in your closet somewhere. You also are probably reading this because it has an annoying buzzer at the end of any dryer cycle that ensures people in Africa is made aware that you need to reset your dryer (because it never dries the first time around). 


The following is how to disconnect the dryer buzzer on a LTG5243DQB Whirlpool "thin twin" washer dryer but it applies most of its cousins as well.

All you need is a needle nose plier.


So if you look at the front of the machine it looks something like this.  Washer in the  bottom, dryer up top with the front console in between, seated on the bottom of the dryer, and the transition panel in between in case, like i said before, you are inside a small closet and need to clean out your exhaust duct.


At any rate, you dont need to open that up, but it's there incase you didnt know. Its just held by those two screws on the top part of the panel.

So the front console control panel is held by tension clips.  There's nothing to unscrew to get to it.  If you crouch down to the washer level and look up, you see a bunch of screws.  Unplug your machine from the electrical outlet and let's go.



On the top right corner, you see the round screw that looks like you needs a hex bit to unscrew it?  There's two of them, one on each side, and it hold the console from flapping open (the bottom part is the hinge, and the console swings open from the top).

Thats actually your tension clip and you take your needle nose pliers, get a good grip in there and pull down all the way (you can use a lot of strength, you wont break it).  Then with your other hand, while you are still gripping the pliers and pulling down, pull open the top of the console.  Do this on each side.




It slides down like so.  On the other side, here's a picture of what you are pulling down (the black piece that im touching with the plier on the left side of the picture)  you are pulling that down against that spring so that the black bar retracts in and the whole console swing open.


It's open like so.


There's probably dust and hair in there from all your gunk, so take a vacuum and give it a quick cleaning while you're here.

On the right side, those little black boxes, is the bane of your existence.  The center module is the dryer buzzer.



 Just to be sure, you should see the part number.


 Mine was part 694419, and on amazon, it's listed as the annoying dryer buzzer.

At this point you can mark which is the left and right wire (i have this blog and these pictures so i can clearly see the left wire has more words faced up). Go ahead and yank the power wires out.


I wrapped the ends of my two black wires with electrical tape (so some freak dust hair doesnt go in, short it out and start a fire) and then taped the thing to the big clear tube so it doesnt flap about and then proceeded to close up the console. 

Just reverse your steps.  On each side, pull the clip down and push the console in.  The left side is much easier than the right, so start with the left and keep it aligned.

Voila!  no more waking the dead at the end of the dryer cycle.

33 comments:

  1. So simple thanks to you! Sleeping with the drying on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless you internet stranger!! Any tips on how to quiet the rattle of the washing machine basket?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing! I can't wait to do laundry at night and during nap time. Thank you. Except... I can't get the panel to close. Or it will close, but I can't figure out how to finagle the spring clips to hold it up. After cutting two fingers and ruining a manicure, I just duct taped it closed and it works fine but my husband was extremely skeptical that I should be doing this task at all and if he sees the duct tape, I will never live it down. Do you have any advice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. How do you get this thing to close again? I have to tape it shut

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome!!!!! This blog just helped me and my wife a bunch. Now our 6 month old will sleep peacefully and so will the other kiddos that live above us!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for writing this up! My 6 month old daughter just got woken up from a nap because of the wretched thing. Now I get to go restart it to finish drying the load and then take it apart to solve this problem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sketchy blog of the year. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was driving me nuts and I never wanted to start the dryer before bed. Now I can sleep in peace - thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You RULE. You are doing a service for humanity posting this. Now I don't have to throw this dryer off a cliff ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. A zillion thank yous!
    Our 790 sq.ft. house is too small for a noise that big.
    You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That damn buzzer has been waking us up and causing mild heart attacks (with rapid bursts of sailor-grade profanity) since the day moved in. We cannot thank you enough. If you’re ever in Maryland, my wife and I would like to treat you to dinner as a token of our appreciation for helping us slay the dreaded whirlpool dragon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. All hail the Great Buzzer Silencer! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. THANK YOU!!!! We called that hell sound the devil’s fart because it was so loud and evil! It didn’t matter how many times I heard it, I still just about jumped out of my skin.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was about to beat my dryer with a baseball bat. This worked much better. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. THANK YOU SO SO MUCH! Cannot tell you how much it means to me that you posted this, that it was easy to follow, and that I am now free of that severely disturbing buzzer! Hope many good things come your way.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks, great improvement! I disconnected just one side of the buzzer, which disabled it...n taped it into a plastic tube and then around the wire bundle. Had to move the flap a bit left/right to get there second clip to engage

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you thank you thank you thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Can you believe it doesn't have a simple on-off switch? Most dryers do and when they're accidentally unset I fly out of my seat when they go off.

    Thank you for this. It shouldn't be forced on us, should it?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I do not know you, but I wish I did. The number of almost heartattacks that damn buzzer caused, not to mention the times I’m sneaking around my own house to not wake my daughter when BBBBBBAAAAAAAATTTTTTTT!!!!! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You made the world so much better

    ReplyDelete
  22. Avengers are fake you are real hero

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yes! Thank you! My studio/laundry room just became a nursery for 3 toddlers and thier papa. I've already forgotten a couple times and woke them from their naps. This will make everything so much smoother!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I was half destroying the washer dryer before I finally found this guide. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I don't have any electrical tape, will duct tape be ok?

    ReplyDelete